Hello world, and welcome to my blog!
Let me start by explaining the title of my blog, which will give you some insight into myself and also what I want to achieve by using this platform.
The title, “Just an Old Fashioned Lesbian” is riddled with irony, I know! It’s supposed to be, but that’s me in a nutshell. The blog is basically a social BUT satirical, commentary on our widely diverse society in general. So HOPEFULLY no one ends up in tears. And now that’s out of the way…
Who am I? I’m the kind of girl who has old fashioned morals, and yes, I am, as some would say, a little, “conventional,” and I’m not afraid to speak my mind. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m no word-warrior, and I’m not out to ruffle any feathers, this entire blog is just my own experience over the 10 years that I have been “out”.
This is how my future path (preferably) looks to me…
A prosperous long term career, long term partner, get engaged, get married, have a family. The white picket fence and all! Sounds pretty standard right? Oh no, it goes even further… I don’t believe in sex on the first date, (but hey I’m not perfect either!) Family comes first to me, before anyone. I’ve never smoked a cigarette, have never done drugs, can’t stand the lesbian “scene”, and have a firm spiritual faith.
To anyone reading this, I sound like the perfect religious little angel, but on the contrary, I am a fully fledged, raging homosexual and have never, nor will ever, make any apologies for that. I have an incredible partner, who loves me for all my weird, wacky and “old fashioned” ways, and yes, these things may make me seem high maintenance, and really, there is no “but” to continue that particular sentence, because, I am
Let me give you an insight into the seedy, drug-fuelled underbelly that I call, “The Scene.”
Everyone is grouped into their own little clicks, we have,
1. The “Baby Dykes” – Just turned 18, probably haven’t come out yet, “fresh meat” as such. Will always be taken under the wing (or between the legs) of the more experienced lesbians, looking for an easy catch. If these wide-eyed, impressionable girls aren’t careful, the majority of their first-time, lesbian experiences end up in the toilet cubicle of an Oxford st club.
2. We have the “Butches”- Otherwise known as “Studs” or “Bull dykes” (Hey I got those two last names off urban dictionary, so don’t shoot the messenger) Will do anything within their power to prove that they are “The Man.” They will sport some kind of mohawk or shaved look, and basically attempt to dress like a tradie at a bbq, oozing with testosterone.
3. The “Lipstick Lesbians”- These girls look like they’ve just walked off the set of a classy lesbian porn set. Long flowing hair, impeccable make-up, fake tan all the way. Generally these girls lived most of their lives as a heterosexual, and “Just got sick of guys treating them wrong.” Be careful with these ones, for every genuine lipstick lesbian, there is a girl just crying out for the affection only another woman can provide, and could be on the turn again in a matter of time. (Don’t say I didn’t warn you)
4. The “Hipster Lesbians”- Oh yeah, lesbians have hipsters too. Have a look around next time you’re out at a club, and try and find the accessories, hair styles etc that are “in…” It’s tough keeping up with the ever-evolving massive singlets, wrist bands and dog tags of the lesbian scene. Kudo’s to these guys! (Oh but they’re way too cool for you, so don’t even look in their general direction.)
5. Femme- Relatively similar to lipstick lesbians, a little less glamorous, but less chance of these ones doing a runner
6. Tomboy- Plays alot of sport, hard to define as they can look pretty girly, but have the butchy personality
7. Stemme- I hadn’t actually heard this one until today, but apparently it just defines everyone else in between who are a bit of a mix.
You’re probably asking where I fit in to all this? The group that I fit into, is my own, and that’s how I like it. And what is the purpose of this blog? To appeal to anyone who is, or has been in a similar situation… Fitting in isn’t special, anyone can do that. Standing out is the real character builder… There is nothing that strengthens the soul quite like being a minority, within a minority. Only then do you know you’re truly unique.
Until next time